Wednesday, December 10, 2014

House Scene Video Test

This is my first video recording with Fraps. The original AVI file was 110MB, but I was able to compress it down to 6MB using Movie Maker in Windows. I'll have to work on my video creation skills before I post any really long videos, but for now I just want to see if it works.

This is a scale model of the house where I grew up in Pennsylvania. It's defined in my custom text file format that's powerful but not very user friendly. The objects are mostly cubes, spheres, cylinders, cones, extruded polygons, triangles, and quads. All of these objects are volumetric so they have full physics enabled with collision detection, and can be procedurally edited and destroyed in-game. I'm also able to import heightmap images and place grass, plants, trees, hedges, and water. The vegetation is also destroyable and moves in the wind. Almost all objects cast shadows. The indirect lighting is precomputed using multithreaded path tracing and consists of both sun and sky lighting (to be described in more detail later).

This makes for a good test scene, though I do have higher quality models that I can post screenshots and videos of later.

2 comments:

  1. Have you improved the stair traversal yet? It also seems like the camera is very low. Is that intentional to give the same impression as you had as a child?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The camera is low here because the player was originally one of the spherical "smiley faces" I used in the original gameplay mode. Sometime since I created this video, I added a proper camera_height variable and now the player is a capsule shape where most of the collision detection uses a pair of upper and lower spheres. The lower sphere is the original body, while the upper sphere is now the "head". This makes walking up and down stairs look more reasonable. But now the player is higher than the enemy smileys in gameplay mode, which kind of gives an unfair advantage because you can throw objects further.

    In the latest posts I finally added a player model, though you can only see its shadows and mirror reflections.

    ReplyDelete