Sunday, March 17, 2019

Pedestrian Animation Update

This is a quick update. I made some improvements to 3DWorld's pedestrian walking animations that were introduced in the previous post. I've added a knee joint to go with the hip joint on each leg. This looks much more natural than any of the strange animations from last time. I'm still applying the exact same animation code to all three models.


It's not perfect though. Some of the models have their legs spaced out too far for a casual walking animation. Also, none of their arms move. Real people swing their arms at least somewhat while walking, and also move the other parts of their bodies a bit. Still, it's good enough for now. I've gotten the basic animation down. That's 90% of the way there with 10% of the work.

I'll continue to add new models of people, improved walking, and new animations in the future. In fact, I've already added one new model of a man since recording this video. The model looks good and has high quality textures. However, the animations don't quite work because the area between the bottom of his shirt and the top of his pants stretch in an unnatural way. I'll get back to it later.

Once again, the code can be found here in my 3DWorld project on GitHub.

No comments:

Post a Comment